POSITION: Teen Coordinator (Part-time, Seasonal 15-25 hours/week & Occasional weekends)
STARTING RATE: $19.50 (may vary based on qualifications/availability)
**Applicants considered for this position may be offered a starting position of general Program Support in order to train and determine qualifications.
Teen Coordinator is responsible for providing support with planning, implementing, supervising and evaluating all teen programs and activities provided as part of the five core program areas: Character & Leadership, Education & Career Development, Health & Life Skills, The Arts, Sports, Fitness, & Recreation. This position also is responsible for assisting in the process of training peer staff, evaluating volunteers and mentors as well as collaborating with local schools to support membership recruitment. This position is responsible for the activities, supervision and success of the Boys and Girls Club of Antelope Valley Teen Center. **Applicants for this position may be offered a starting position of general Program Support in order to train and determine qualifications.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Supports the Teen Director to accomplish program goals related to AVBGC sites that serve middle school and high school teen members (this may incorporate younger members as well).
- Ensure programs, services and activities that prepare youth for success, promoting safety of members and quality in programs at all times.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members. Educate, promote, develop self-esteem, and provide positive alternatives.
- Ensure quality improvement by monitoring and evaluating program achievement against target goals, recommending modifications that respond to member needs and interests. Establish and maintain outcome-based programs.
- Participate in teen staff meetings to provide input and updates on teen center progress.
- Ensure a healthy, safe, clean, organized, environment, supervising members in program area at all times.
- Maintain facilities and ensure a productive work environment, maintaining an inventory of all program equipment and supplies in good order.
- Increase visibility of Club programs via posting of schedule, regular announcements of upcoming events. Assist with scheduling school day visits at area middle schools and high school as necessary to generate interest in planned Club activities.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate programs, services, and activities using Club process.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of “Teen Night” special events once a month, as well as any additional educational trips or incentive opportunities once given approval.
- Assist in the development of weekly program schedules and curriculum. Submit all teen program plans and special event plans to the Teen Director for approval.
- Work with administrative staff to ensure fulfillment of grant requirements.
- Recruit, train and manage assigned volunteers and staff; provide ongoing feedback; and identify and support development opportunities.
- Provide proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted, breakdown of daily participation figures, notable achievements and any problems/issues.
- Represents the organization and interprets its objectives, standards and programs.
- Planning, organizing and implementing a range of program services and activities for teen members.
- Initiating new programs with the approval of Teen Director.
- Coordinating, promoting and stimulating participation in the teen programs at the Club.
- Maintain expectations for National Programs such as; Keystone Club, Youth of the Year, Smart Moves, Money Matters, College Bound, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by Teen Director/Director of Operations.
- Develop commitment from members to ensure active participation in Programs and Activities.
- Empower members to be leaders through positive role modeling.
- Facilitate Grant Required Activities and National Program activities in the following areas: Character & Leadership, Education & Career Development, Health & Life Skills, The Arts, and Sports, Fitness, & Recreation.
- Provide recognition to members through positive validations, healthy incentives, and affirmation on a regular basis.
- Team building mentality is exemplified in all work done.
- Positively influence and uplift members and other affiliates.
- Ensure productive and effective performance by all program staff and volunteers.
- Increase and maintain teen membership
- Oversee and/or participate in special programs, events and targeted outreach.
- Assist in or handle special assignments or other duties as deemed necessary or important by supervisor.
2. Manage & Develop Resources
- Monthly program planning is required to ensure preparation and successful programs and activities.
- Attend and participate in Staff Training's, which is essential to professional development.
- Follow all policies and procedures at all times, including the Club’s Code of Conduct, which can be found in the Employee Handbook.
- Maintain case management files and other grant related paperwork and submit in a timely manner.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of the Club site, with high regard for school property.
- Must be able to inform important and relevant information to members, parents, co-workers and Teen Director.
- Must be able to listen to co-workers, parents, youth members and community and other Boys & Girls Club affiliates while maintaining a professional relationship and positive representation of the Club at all times.
- Must be able to present important and relevant information and/or presentations through program facilitation, staff meetings or training's, and/or other Boys & Girls Club events.
- Must be able to write and compose clear, concise, accurate written documentation and data reports.
- Ability to prepare and deliver effective reports, correspondence, and presentations.
4. Supervision, & Safety
- Must be able to supervise and keep youth members engaged during program time
- Ensure the safety standards are met by all site staff at all times.
- Provide sound and reasonable discipline to youth members at necessary times through written documentation (i.e. citation), and/or parent phone call.
- Practice and constantly be aware of safe practices like Crisis Management, Emergency Preparedness, CPR and First Aid, etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work space at all times.
- Drive Club van, create and maintain the appropriate permission slips.
- Consult with parents and staff concerning member issues.
- Submit accurate written reports.
5. Other Duties as Necessary
- Must be at least 22 years of age and have valid identification
- Work experience with a Boys & Girls Club or other youth serving organization (teens specifically).
- Proven ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
- Proven ability to recruit, train, supervise, and motivate staff and volunteers
- Proven ability to plan and implement quality programs using a youth development strategy.
- Proven ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and the ability to get to and from work at the scheduled times.
- The Club has a mandatory overtime policy when required. This could extend your workday and/or may require working on Saturdays as needed. You must be available for this type of work schedule.
- CPR Certification (Adult, Child, Infant preferred), or attend and successfully complete certification within first month of employment.
- Ability to organize, supervise, and reinforce positive behavior from members
- Must pass a background check, TB and drug test.
- Must obtain Serve Safe Certification as applicable to the site(s).
- High school diploma required, Associates degree from accredited college or university or BA/BS preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in related field
- In progress of or completed some college course work
- Instructional Aid Qualified
- Meet Staff Training requirements
- Work experience with a Boys & Girls Club or other youth serving organization (teens specifically)
- Maintain a high energy level and positive representation.
- Be comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Must be able to work in loud environments and communicate clearly.
- Stand for four plus hours per day.
- Stoop, bend, climb, and walk frequently.
- Lift up to 40 pounds.
4. Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job. Employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause.