Club Driver (Bus & Van)
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Bus/Van Driver is responsible for the safe operation of Club vehicles and transportation of Boys and Girls Club members according to a set daily schedule, or special trip opportunities. The driver will provide transportation of members from assigned neighborhood schools to the Boys & Girls Club, or other designated bus stop as directed by supervising staff. The Driver will also provide transportation to and from special events and Club trips as requested. Paid drive time hours are based on drive time only, and will vary. Special circumstances may apply. This position requires a Commercial Driver’s License from the State of California. License must have P (Passenger) and S (School Bus) endorsements preferred
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities)
- Driver is responsible for the safety and supervision of all Club members in or around the vehicle.
- Driver is responsible for maintaining discipline and safety rules on each vehicle as outlined in the “bus/van rules” and notifying the Club Director if problems occur with members.
- Driver must drive the designated daily routes to assigned schools, utilizing sign-in/out sheets to track all members’ attendance while boarding and leaving the vehicle.
- Damage to Club vehicles or incidents that occur during transport must be reported (in writing) to the Program Director immediately or in a nightly report if not deemed an emergency.
- Driver is responsible for keeping daily (written) safety inspection records of the vehicles.
- Keep accurate and organized paperwork in a “Transportation Folder” and submit all necessary transportation and safety paperwork on a weekly basis, such as:
- Mileage Forms
- Attendance Sheets
- Bus Rules/Memos
- Incident reports
- Safety/Damage Inspection Records
- Updated Route Information
- Emergency Contact Information
- Maintain emergency supplies and request additional supplies as needed.
- Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff, Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain, or interpret guidelines/instructions.
- Maintain contact as needed with schools, members and community in order to assist in resolving problems or issues regarding the job and/or Boys & Girls Club.
- Perform minor maintenance duties as needed.
- The Driver must notify the Club Director when gas is needed or other maintenance such as oil changes and yearly inspections are due
- Driver is responsible for inspecting/cleaning the bus on a daily basis
- Train potential drivers as requested
- Assist in supervising members and conducting Club programs when necessary
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- Drivers are expected to operate Club vehicles in a safe manner, obeying and understanding all traffic laws, or relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Remain vigilant and aware of surroundings at all times.
- Drivers are expected to maintain professional and respectful relationships with all Club members, parents and affiliates.
- Maintain positive Boys and Girls Club representation at all times.
- Follow Boys and Girls Club safety and conduct expectations as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have valid identification.
- Prior work experience in children transportation services preferred.
- Must have reliable (personal) transportation, valid driver’s license, and the ability to get to and from work at the scheduled times.
- Must provide H-6 (DMV Printout)
- Must have Driver Proficiency Certificate
- Position requires a Class B License
- The Club has a mandatory overtime policy when required. This could extend your workday and/or may require working on Saturdays as needed. You must be available for this type of work schedule.
- CPR/First Aid Certification (Adult, Child, Infant preferred), or attend and successfully complete certification within first month of employment.
- Ability to organize, supervise, and reinforce positive behavior from members.
- Must pass a background check, TB and drug test.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Enthusiasm and patience for working with children.
- Excellent student interaction skills.
- Excellent driving and observation skills
- Meet Staff Training requirements
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job. Employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause.